Subscribe to ART and CRAFT by Mimi Pinto by Email ART and CRAFT by Mimi Pinto: Calligraphy in a quirky contemporary style

Friday 16 January 2015

Calligraphy in a quirky contemporary style

I wanted to put a new twist on traditional Calligraphy.

I do absolutely love the flat nibbed pens, the traditional dipping in ink wells, it all adds to the mystique and drama of making marks.  I can spend hours and hours scribbling sometimes gibberish even to make marks with my Calligraphy tools.  But I wanted to try and put a new twist on this.
It started with the Christmas cards which I had decided were going to bank heavily on Typography inspired design.  So combining the two a traditional calligraphy type with a quirky doodle and scribble but with the same traditional implements, I produced the Christmas Cards.  They were incredibly successful.  I was a little worried as I had just two in the range and wasn't sure if clients would expect more of a choice.  But boxed as sets of 12 they almost sold out by late October.

So considering this style was a success my next task was to produce a range of Cards with Inspirational and motivational quote.  This is something I have been meaning to do for so long.  In the past I did a few sketches for this in just the traditional style and they weren't really singing to me and so I would shelve them for a while.  I tend to do that, shelve stuff if its not clicking.  I did go back to this a few time, but it just did not click.  However after the Christmas cards, I was confident of the style I wanted to use.  so I rummaged through my art journal, I did not realize just how many pages I had filled with quotes, they were all screaming to be addressed. But a few months later...I am pleased with the results.  These card are set out such that they can be personalized.  Pop in at AmazonUk and check it out !!!



No comments:

Post a Comment